The Watauga County Public Library has opened to the public with safety restrictions.
Curbside pickup of materials and printed documents will still be offered during operational hours and is recommended especially for high risk folks.
Watauga County Public Library
140 Queen Street, Boone NC
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 10 am – 6 pm
Friday, and Saturday from 10 pm - 4 pm
The Western Watauga Branch Library will continue with Curbside Service and will not open to the public as this time.
Western Watauga Branch Library (curbside only)
1085 Old US 421, Sugar Grove, NC
Monday and Wednesday from 10 am – 4 pm
Tuesday and Thursday from 10 am - 6 pm
Please Note: We are unable to reserve the meeting room for groups until after August 2020.
We apologize for the inconvenience; we are working
to keep our patrons safe!
We’d like to inform our community about some safety protocols:
- Our staff will use masks and we request those entering to wear one to protect our staff and others. We can provide one to you while supplies last.
- We are limiting the number of people in the building at one time.
- Folks wanting to enter once the limit is reached may wait outside 6 feet apart along our sidewalk.
- Please limit your visit to approximately 20 minutes.
- Seating, water fountains and study rooms are closed off. Children's toys, games, stuffed animals, and backpacks are unavailable. Bathrooms are open but cleaned once a day.
- A Self-check station is in the Youth Services area; an additional Self-check station will be available in the Adult Services area. Instructions are provided at each terminal.
- A table will be set up outside the entrance for Summer Reading registration and easy pick up of reading logs and Take-it/Make-it bags. Families only wanting to pick up reading logs will need to wait in a separate line 6 feet apart in front of the table. Families may also register inside the library.
- The Circulation desk will have no more than two staff members; they can check out items for you, take fines and fees (no-touch method) and issue library cards. We encourage those wanting a library card to fill out our online form located in the lower left corner of our “Search catalog” page.
The URL to request a library card is: https://appalachian.nccardinal.org/eg/opac/register
Your photo ID can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be notified with your card number and can pick up your physical card at a later time.
Watauga county school students may use their student ID to check out up to 10 books/audiobooks with no late fines.
Our staff members will be working hard to ensure a safe experience for visitors:
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the library.
- We have pink "stand here" signs spaced 6 feet apart on our carpeting to guide visitors.
- Please follow our one-way arrows and signage throughout the building to minimize close contact with others.
- Computers will be available by appointment only. There will be 1 stand-alone computer for quick access (10 min.)
- Study rooms are not available.
- If you use equipment such as the online catalog, printer, copier, self-check, etc., please use hand sanitizer beforehand and afterwards.
- Please call ahead if you need help placing a hold or would like us to pull items for you.
- Please call ahead to confirm items are ready for pickup or for any additional information that will make your visit go more smoothly and speedily.
For the Watauga County Public Library, curbside instructions are as follows:
1.) Put books on hold using your library card through our catalog.
2.) Wait for notification, allow at least 48 hours–we’ll call you when they’re ready!
3.) Please note that the amount of time may be longer than usual.
4.) Park in front of the library.
5.) Call the library with your last name, the last 4 numbers of your library card, and your vehicle description. Give us a few minutes to check out materials.
6.) We’ll leave the items on the large table in front of the library.
Library material may be returned in our book drop behind the library. Any items that were checked out while the library was closed and during the month of June are due by June 30 unless you have a July due date. Please be patient as our library staff catch up with holds and library business while ensuring that we are using safety protocols. Items put on hold may take longer than usual due to quarantining. There will be no meeting room reservations through August and for the foreseeable future.
Below is a list of other services currently offered. Please call us to inquire about availability of any service you are interested in.
Check with us for updates on our website:
https://www.arlibrary.org/watauga Watauga County Public Library & Western Watauga Branch Library
Find us on Facebook:
Thank you, and stay safe and well,
All of us at the Watauga County Public Library
Grab your library card and click here to get started on your family research. Enter your library card number with no spaces or dashes. Your pin is the last 4 of your phone number. Doesn't work? Email us at email@example.com and we will reset it for you. Enjoy!
For many of the online resources, but not all, you will need a library card.
Don’t have a library card? We’ve got you covered.
(This step is optional, but library card will expire after ‘stay at home’ order ends and you will need to bring your photo ID to the library to re-activate your card)
Reading, Resources, and Education Online
Every day, more wonderful educational and recreational resources are being made available at no charge online. We are working hard to share these resources with you! Find these on our web site at www.arlibrary.org
Tips On Logging In
If you are having trouble, we probably need to re-set your pin number. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the last 4 digits of your library card number.
Wi-Fi will be available in the library parking lot 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at both the Boone and Western Watauga locations. No password needed. Please remember to stay safe and practice social distancing by remaining at least six feet away from others if using the Wi-Fi.
Stay in touch
Stay safe and well!
All of us at The Watauga County Public Libraries
Temporary Emergency Video Notarization Authorized
The following temporary emergency video notarization requirements were passed by the General Assembly and signed by Governor Cooper on May 4, 2020. They take effect immediately and will end sunset on August 1, 2020.
Does not include Absentee Ballots
This temporary authorization specifically excludes video notarizations of: a.Documents under Article 20 of Chapter 163 of the General Statutes, which includes absentee ballots.
The parties must use video conference technology that allows for direct, real-time interaction between the principal signer(s) and the Notary. No pre-recorded video or audio is allowed
Each principal signer(s) must indicate that they are physically located in the state of North Carolina and identify the county where he or she is located at the time of the notarial act. The notary shall use video conference technology to observe each principal sign each document to be notarized.
Documents are then emailed or faxed to Jackie Cornette at the Western Watuaga Branch in Sugar Grove. She will notarize the documents and send them back to you. If the original document is required, please email or fax a copy to Jackie, then mail or drop off original to be notarized.