Ashe County’s literary festival,On the Same Page, is a celebration of reading and writing.
Last Updated: Sep 9, 2015
- 1:00 p.m. Tuesday: Festival Read Discussion
Ashe County Library - The Supremes at Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat, by Edward Kelsey Moore. Lively discussion of this year’s Festival Read. Bring your thoughts on friendship, grief, and laughter.
- 7:30 p.m. Tuesday: The Wizardry of Oz: The Story-Telling Genius of L. Frank Baum.
Elliot Engel. The Wizardry of Oz: The Storytelling Genius of L. Frank Baum. Literary performance. Ashe Arts Center. Admission.
- 8:30-10:30 a.m. Wednesday: Ken Waldman
Workshop. Four Writing Prompts: The Beginning Of Four New Stories Or Poems. Reservation required. Ashe County Public Library.
- 1:30–3:30 p.m. Wednesday: Georgann Eubanks
Workshop. Writing Scenes. Reservation required. Ashe County Public Library.
- 11:00 a.m. Wednesday: Dr. Dan Pearce
NASCAR historian. Friends of the Ashe County Library feature presentation. Ashe County Public Library.
- 4:00 p.m. Wednesday: Kathryn Stripling Byer
Former NC Poet Laureate, reads and reflects on her work. Ashe County Public Library.
- 10:00 a.m. Thursday: Wendy Welch
Writer, teacher and bookseller shares her bookstore tales. Ashe County Public Library.
- 12:00 p.m. Thursday: Literary Trails Luncheon
Lunch with Georgann Eubanks. Boxed lunches, nominal charge, reservation required. Ashe County Public Library.
- 2:00 p.m. Thursday: Amy Greene
Amy Greene brings 1930s Appalachia to life with her new novel, Longman. Ashe County Public Library.
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday: Edward Kelsey Moore
Edward Kelsey Moore reads from this year’s Festival Read and shares insights on his characters. Ashe Arts Center.
- 10:00 a.m. Friday: Ann Pancake
Ann Pancake will share her contemporary take on Appalachian life. Ashe County Public Library.
- 12:00 p.m. Friday: Lunch with an Author
Informal discussions over lunch with our authors. Chat, ask questions, and share a meal. Sign-up to dine with authors Byer, Davis-Gardner, Greene, Moore, Pancake and Welch. Reservation required. Local restaurants/venues. Dutch treat.
- 2:00 p.m. Friday: Angela Davis Gardner
Angela Davis-Gardner author of four critically acclaimed novels. Ashe County Public Library.
- 3:30–5:30 p.m. Friday Book Fair
Featuring local and regional writers; books available for purchase. Ashe Arts Center.
- 7:30 p.m. Friday: Telling Stories Live: An Evening of Song and Storytelling
Jack Beck, Michael Bell, Naomi Faw, Judy Morris and Ken Waldman. Ashe Arts Center.
- 8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. Ashe County Farmers Market.
8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. Downtown West Jefferson on the “Backstreet.” Admission is free. Produce, craft items, and more are available for sale.
- 8:30 a.m. Saturday: Page Turner’s Breakfast
For OTSP Festival supporters; at the West Jefferson home of Chris Arvidson & Henry Doss. Reservation required.
- 10:00 a.m. Saturday: Reflections on the New River
Anthology authors read poetry and prose at the Farmers Market on the Backstreet in West Jefferson.
- 12:00 p.m. Saturday: On the Same Plate
Luncheon and Panel Discussion with Festival authors. Page Crafters writing competition winners announced. Nominal charge, reservation required. West Jefferson United Methodist Church Community Room.